Wednesday night's experiment: beer bread!
I only wish chocolate stout actually tasted like chocolate...
Ahhhh, the convenience of just dumping everything into the machine, pressing a couple of buttons, and walking away!
While your bread is baking, you can relax. or...do what I did: go to Costco!
See that mop? I don't think I've ever been so excited to clean floors!
A couple of hours later and voila!
It's actually not as...beer-tasting as we'd hoped. But still quite yummy!
We've thought of two ways to enjoy the fruits of our [machine's] labor:
A nightcap for Eric - beer bread toast and his favorite Old Man Drink - a Manhattan.
And this morning's breakfast - toasted with a spread of blueberry goat cheese!
Recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens' More Bread Machine Bounty (1994)
- 1 cup plus two tablespoons dark beer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Add ingredients to your bread machine in the order recommended by its manufacturer [in my case, liquids, semi-liquids, salt, flours, yeast]
- Program your bread machine to a whole wheat cycle
Do you enjoy cocktails that are 'inappropriate' for you generation?
Any suggestions for the next yummy bread concoction?